- By Nimr
- 01 June 2020
Career scope in M.Sc. in Clinical Research
Jobs in the clinical research industry take huge responsibilities and commitment to successfully run the clinical trials and take care of every issue with intensive care and attention. Clinical research is a specialized segment of healthcare science that focuses on the safety and benefits of medications, medical equipment, and diagnostic products and treatment processes.
Clinical researches contribute to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of various diseases and ailments. It is a booming industry getting popular in most countries in the world. Clinical research courses are not that prevalent among students due to the lack of awareness. But, the ones who are pursuing the program and working in the sector are well aware of the career prospects.
M.Sc. in Clinical Research is a detailed program that offers the students an overview of various clinical researches, including drug manufacturing, pharmaceutical, and various managerial clinical tests. In the Master's program, the students learn about the safety measures and efficacy of medicines used to treat humans.
Individuals, who intend to join this research-based industry, find this program extremely beneficial. There might be several clinical research courses offered in the institutions, but the Master’s degree has been the best option for the present generation of youngsters.
The blog will discuss the job opportunities one can have after completing a Master’s degree in clinical research.
The Job Sectors Where the Students with Masters in Clinical Research Can Apply;
- Medical Device Companies
- Clinical Data Management
- Contract Research Organizations (CRO)
- Patient Recruitment Organizations (PRO)
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Government Agencies
- Auditing of Clinical Trials
- Logistics and Courier Services
- Central Lab
- Research Affairs
- Research Sites
- Medical Writing
Prospective Job Roles for M.Sc. Students in Clinical Research
Students with a Master's Degree in Clinical Research can find suitable jobs in various clinical sectors. Some of those are mentioned below.
1. Clinical Research Associate
The clinical research associates supervise the drug trials of the newly manufactured drugs and provide all amenities for the process to complete successfully. The professionals check the impact, benefits, and risks associated with the medicines. Another significant job responsibility is to check whether the drug is ready for sale in the market or whether it is safe for the masses.
- Write trial protocols
- Present the trial protocol before the committee
- Design the data collection forms
- Consult the Ethics committee
- Deal with regulatory applications and approvals
- Setup trial sites
- Prepare trial reports
2. Drug Research Associate
Drug Research Associates are engaged in field trials for testing drugs. The professionals are responsible for identifying the location and checking whether the infrastructure is alright for the specific drug trial.
- Plan and run the drug trial protocols
- Explain the trial protocols before the steering committee to earn approval
- Design data collection forms
- Coordinate with the Ethics Committee
- Consult doctors
- Develop the trial sites
- Prepare and submit the reports
3. Clinical Scientist
Clinical scientists perform vital jobs in clinical research labs. The professionals test the patients' blood, urine, and other body fluids samples. They identify the ailment and provide accurate treatment procedures to recover from the disease.
- Test the sample collections in the research labs
- Analyze the specimen
- Pinpoint abnormalities
- Audit the diagnostic effect of the tests
- Resolve subtle analytical performance issues
- Consult clinical team and patient parties
- Apply research methods to prevent the disease
4. Regulatory Affairs Officer
Regulatory Affairs Officers act as a mediator between the company and regulatory authorities. The officers need to use their scientific, business, and legal knowledge to ensure that the products manufactured by a specific company maintain the legal guidelines.
- Ensure that the company products meet the regulations
- Maintain the national and international guidelines
- Collect and evaluate the data gathered from a range of sources
- Take care of the license matter
- Work with upgraded computer software
- Plan product trials and explain the trial data
- Coordinate with the fellow scientists
Other Job roles include,
- Clinical Research Manager
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Clinical Research Investigator
- Clinical Data Validator
- Clinical Data Reviewer
- Study Coordinator Manager
- Associate Study Coordinator Manager
- Clinical Project Manager
- Clinical Data Coordinator
- Clinical Data Associate
- Clinical Trials Auditor
- Data Manager
- Medical Writer
- Scientific Medical Writer
- Drug Safety Associate
- Product Safety Monitor
- Regulatory Affairs Associate
- Business Development
- Clinical Development
- SAS Programmer
- QA/QC Associate
Alternative Careers for the Clinical Research students
The ones who have acquired the Master's degree in Clinical Research might explore some interesting medical careers that include,
1. Medical Assistants in hospitals and doctor’ clinics
The core job responsibilities comprise meeting the patients, discussing and recording their past medical history, checking the disease symptoms, administering medicines, and consulting the doctor.
2. Health Service Managers
The students can also consider the professions of health service managers who run administrative and executive tasks in hospitals and clinics.
Job Responsibilities for Clinical Research Professionals in Brief:
- The clinical research professionals look after the designs and writing of case report forms, protocols, and consent forms needed for clinical trials. The professionals ensure that the team review and recheck the case report forms on time and submit them to the data management group.
- The professionals must understand the constant changes in the regulatory process and standards in various therapeutic trials. They supervise the recording and reporting of the trial process depending on the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), GCP, ICH with the basic administrative guidelines.
- They run the clinical trials successfully and manage the trial documentation and trail logistics.
- The professionals take care of Ethics Committee Submission & Approval and arrange for Audit visits and Regulative submissions.
- They run the site management jobs, including site staff and patients' management and patient recruitment and retention.
Students who have completed their Master's degree in Clinical Research can expect a minimum salary range of around five lakhs per annum. With years of experience and skills, the salary range will go higher.
Clinical research jobs are of profound significance in today's world. Due to the current pandemic, every pharmaceutical company is developing and manufacturing new medicines and vaccines to stop the spread of the Covid19 disease. In this context, the role of the clinical research students is indispensable. M.Sc. in Clinical Research prepares the students with the right skills and knowledge to upgrade the industry more in the coming years.